How do you grow in the Lord?
This is an important question for every person to ask because it's a question of spiritual maturity and development. Just as children grow physically into teenagers then adults, Christians are called in Scripture to grow from young Christians to spiritually mature Christians.
At the end of his second letter, Peter writes, "Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."
Spiritual development was important to Peter 2,000 years ago. It is still important today. So how do you grow?
Let me suggest a few ways God has established to direct his people towards becoming mature Christians.
1. Weekly worship: spiritual growth depends on frequent worship with God's people each week.
2. Daily Bible reading: to know God and become more like Jesus Christ, you need to read his Word. It's in Scripture that you will learn the character of the Triune God and his plan of redemption.
3. Daily prayer: each day let God's Word lead you to prayer, communion with God. In prayer we speak to God but we also listen as his Holy Spirit speaks to us through his Word.
4. Serve: whether it's helping with a ministry at church or volunteering in the community, serving others is a valuable means of growing in grace.
5. Get involved at church: at Shem Creek Presbyterian Church we have weekly worship, Sunday evening community groups, men's Bible study, women's Bible study, college Bible study, weekly mentoring opportunitites, and times for fellowship. Find a way to get invovled in the life of our church and grow in grace with others.
These are several ways which will help you grow spiritually and become more like the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8.29).